TD Ameritrade is one of the highest rated discount brokerage firms around, consistently ranking among the leading online stock brokers in a variety of industry lists, including the best broker for your IRA as rated by Kiplinger’s, and the #1 overall for brokerage for options traders, #2 for long term investors, and #5 overall for frequent traders in the Barron’s review of online brokers (factors considered in the rankings include: Trade Experience, Trading Technology, Usability, Range of Offerings, Research Amenities, Portfolio Analysis and Reports, Customer Service and Education, & Costs).
Based on these industry awards, it’s easy to see that TD Ameritrade has a a little something for everyone – from the beginning investor to the experienced professional. Let’s take a look at what makes TD Ameritrade such a great option for investors.
TD Ameritrade Bonus: See below to learn how you can get free stock trades or a cash bonus of up to $600 for opening a new TD Ameritrade account. Offer expires 3/31/2018.
Top Rated Online Brokerage Firm
TD Ameritrade offers almost 40 years of experience with directing and managing trades for their customers. In addition to offering a state of the art online trading platform, they also have over 100 local branches, which is important if you are the type of investor who prefers working with a broker instead of doing everything yourself. You can also link your TD Ameritrade brokerage account to your TD Ameritrade bank if you have an account with them (or you can open one to simplify your banking and investing).
TD Ameritrade brokerage account features: TD Ameritrade customers will all receive flat rate commissions on all trades, access to independent stock and investment research, access to research from industry leaders like Standard & Poor’s, Morningstar Associates, and ResearchTeam(TM), and a variety of investment tools.
Here are a few more TD Ameritrade highlights:
- Flat-rate $6.95 commissions on every Internet equity trade.
- No account minimums to open, no monthly maintenance fees.
- Over 100 commission-free ETFs selected by Morningstar Associates.
- Over 100 local branches.
- No minimum initial deposit required to open an IRA.
- No IRA maintenance fees.
- Execute trades via your web browser, download a desktop app, or use their mobile trading platform with your smartphone.
TD Ameritrade Pricing
TD Ameritrade features flat rate trades—all internet equity trades are only $6.95—regardless of how much is in your account, or how much you trade. There are no account minimums, maintenance fees, or any other unexpected fees.
|Trades at TD Ameritrade||Pricing|
|Stocks – Online trades
|Other ETF’s – Online
|Mutual Funds – No-Transaction-Fee||Yes|
|Mutual Funds – No Load||$49.99|
|Mutual Funds – Load||No Commission*|
||$6.95 + $0.75 per contract|
|Treasuries at auction||$25 flat fee|
|Futures||$2.25 per contract (inclusive of exchange fees)|
*Fees included in fund; see prospectus for more information. See TD Ameritrade website for additional product offerings and pricing schedules.
Account Types at TD Ameritrade
TD Ameritrade offers a variety of investment accounts for individuals, families, partnerships, and more. Among the offerings are:
- Standard Accounts: Individual, Joint Tenants, Tenant in Common, Community Property, Tenants by the Entireties, Guardianship or Conservatorship.
- Retirement Accounts: Traditional and Roth IRAs, Rollover IRA, SEP IRA, SIMPLE IRA
- Education Savings Accounts: 529, Coverdell ESA, UGMA/UTMA.
- Specialty Investing Accounts: Trust, Limited Partnership, Partnership, Investment Club, LLC, Sole Proprietorship, Corporate, Non-Incorporated Organization, Pension or Profit Plan for Small Business.
- Open a TD Ameritrade account today.
The only thing I don’t see out of the major investment types or retirement plans is the Solo 401k, which is becoming more popular among small businesses. This is a relatively new retirement plan option for small businesses. Unfortunately, many brokerages still don’t offer it.
TD Ameritrade Trade Architect
TD Ameritrade Trade Architect is TD Ameritrade’s premier online trading platform which offers a variety of online stock trading tools to users at no additional cost. Here is an example of the requirements to get similar tools at other online brokerage firms:
If you are a frequent trader, then these investment tools will come in handy. Learn more at TD Ameritrade.
More Reasons to choose TD Ameritrade
In addition to the award winning trading platform, low prices, and industry experience, the following features help set TD Ameritrade apart from other online stock brokers:
- Wide variety of investment options. TD Ameritrade features investments including stocks, bonds, CDs, futures and forex, and options. They offer over 100 commission-free ETFs, and more than 1700 no-load, no-transaction-fee mutual funds.
- Easy to use investing tools. TD Ameritrade offers the thinkorswim trading platform which you can download to your desktop, or you can make trades with the web-based Trade Architect, or you can use TD Ameritrade Mobile apps on your smartphone.
- Over 100 Local Branches. TD Ameritrade is one of the few discount brokerages which also has physical branch locations – a great service if you prefer having someone you can meet with in person to help you craft your investment strategy. You can meet with a TD Ameritrade investment consultant to receive a free review of your financial goals and objectives. This can include recommendations for types of investments, advice on how to consolidate your investments – such as rolling over old 401ks – and more.
- Robust Knowledge center. TD Ameritrade features a variety of educational tools including webinars, tutorials, articles, workshops, and other learning tools.
- Objective 3rd party stock research. Customers have access to a variety of third-party research tools including tools from Standard & Poor’s®, Morningstar Associates®, MarketEdge®, and access to unique reports like ResearchTeam.
- 24/7 customer support. You can get help with your TD Ameritrade account 24/7 by calling their customer support center at 1-800-669-3900, using their e-mail support system, or by visiting one of over 100 branches nationwide. TD Ameritrade customer support centers offer more than just account troubleshooting and can help with investment questions, including understanding investment options, making trades, retirement account questions, and more. Customer support is offered in English, Spanish, Cantonese and Mandarin.
How Does TD Ameritrade Compare to Similar Brokerages?
TD Ameritrade Bonus: Free Trades or Cash For New Accounts
Open an account today and be eligible for free trades for up to 60 days and up to a $600 cash bonus.
*Offer valid for one new Individual, Joint or IRA TD Ameritrade account opened by 03/31/2018 and funded within 60 calendar days of account opening with $3,000 or more. To receive $100 bonus, account must be funded with $25,000-$99,999. To receive $300 bonus, account must be funded with $100,000-249,999. To receive $600 bonus, account must be funded with $250,000 or more. Offer is not valid on tax-exempt trusts, 401k accounts, Keogh plans, Profit Sharing Plan, or Money Purchase Plan. Offer is not transferable and not valid with internal transfers, TD Ameritrade Institutional accounts, accounts managed by TD Ameritrade Investment Management, LLC, current TD Ameritrade accounts or with other offers. Qualified commission-free Internet equity, ETF or options orders will be limited to a maximum of 500 and must execute within 60 calendar days of account funding. Contract, exercise, and assignment fees still apply. Limit one offer per client. Account value of the qualifying account must remain equal to, or greater than, the value after the net deposit was made (minus any losses due to trading or market volatility or margin debit balances) for 12 months, or TD Ameritrade may charge the account for the cost of the offer at its sole discretion. TD Ameritrade reserves the right to restrict or revoke this offer at any time. This is not an offer or solicitation in any jurisdiction where we are not authorized to do business. Please allow 3-5 business days for any cash deposits to post to account. Taxes related to TD Ameritrade offers are your responsibility. Retail values totaling $600 or more during the calendar year will be included in your consolidated Form 1099. Please consult a legal or tax advisor for the most recent changes to the U.S. tax code and for rollover eligibility rules. (Offer Code: 220).
This offer is only available for a limited time. Contract, exercise, and assignment fees still apply. Your account must remain open with the minimum funding required for the offer for a minimum time frame or you may be required to forfeit the cash bonus. Limit one offer per new customer. Visit TD Ameritrade to get the free trades and cash bonus.