Update – Oct 3, 2019: TD Ameritrade announced it’s now offering $0 commissions on online stock, ETF, and options trades for all new and existing clients. This is exciting news for all current and potential TD Ameritrade customers. Continue reading to see why TD Ameritrade is one of our top-rated brokerage firms.
TD Ameritrade is one of the highest-rated discount brokerage firms around, consistently ranking among the leading online stock brokers in a variety of industry lists, including the best broker for your IRA as rated by Kiplinger’s, and the #1 overall for brokerage for 2019 by StockBrokers.com.
Based on these industry awards, it’s easy to see that TD Ameritrade has a little something for everyone – from the beginning investor to the experienced professional. Let’s take a look at what makes TD Ameritrade such a great option for investors.
TD Ameritrade Bonus: See below to learn how you can get a cash bonus of up to $600 for opening a new TD Ameritrade account.
What Is TD Ameritrade?
TD Ameritrade offers nearly 40 years of experience with directing and managing trades for its customers. In addition to offering a state-of-the-art online trading platform, the brokerage also has more than 100 local branches, which is important if you’re the type of investor who prefers working with a human broker instead of doing everything online yourself. You can also link your TD Ameritrade brokerage account to your TD Ameritrade bank account, if you have one (or you can open one to simplify your banking and investing).
TD Ameritrade brokerage account features: TD Ameritrade customers will all benefit from no commissions on most stock, ETF, and options trades; access to independent stock and investment research; access to research from industry leaders like Standard & Poor’s, Morningstar Associates, and ResearchTeam(TM); and a variety of investment tools.
Here are a few more TD Ameritrade highlights:
- No account minimums to get started and no monthly maintenance fees
- More than 2,300 commission-free, non-proprietary ETFs
- More than 100 local branches
- No minimum initial deposit required to open an IRA
- No IRA maintenance fees
- Execute trades via your web browser, download a desktop app, or use the mobile trading platform with your smartphone
TD Ameritrade Pricing
All internet equity trades are commission-free. PLus, there are no account minimums, maintenance fees, or any other unexpected fees.
|Trades at TD Ameritrade||Pricing|
|Stocks – Online trades||No Commission|
|Mutual Funds – No-Transaction-Fee||No Commission|
|Mutual Funds – No Load||$49.99|
|Mutual Funds – Load||No Commission*|
|Options Internet||No Commission + $0.65 per contract|
|Treasuries at auction||Available Commission-Free|
|Futures||$2.25 per Contract (inclusive of exchange fees)|
*Fees included in fund; see prospectus for more information. See TD Ameritrade website for additional product offerings and pricing schedules.
Account Types at TD Ameritrade
TD Ameritrade offers a variety of investment accounts for individuals, families, partnerships, and more. Among the offerings are:
- Standard Accounts: Individual, Joint Tenants, Tenants in Common, Community Property, Tenants by the Entireties, Guardianship or Conservatorship.
- Retirement Accounts: Traditional and Roth IRAs, Rollover IRAs, SEP IRAs, SIMPLE IRAs, Solo 401(k)s.
- Education Savings Accounts: 529, Coverdell ESA, UGMA/UTMA.
- Specialty Investing Accounts: Trust, Limited Partnership, Partnership, Investment Club, LLC, Sole Proprietorship, Corporate, Non-Incorporated Organization, Pension or Profit Plan for Small Business.
- Open a TD Ameritrade account today.
TD Ameritrade Trade Architect
TD Ameritrade Trade Architect is TD Ameritrade’s premier online trading platform. It offers a variety of online stock trading tools to users at no additional cost.
These include access to all trading platforms, Level II quotes, streaming news, and trading specialists.
Here’s an example of the requirements to get similar tools at other online brokerage firms:
If you’re a frequent trader, these investment tools will come in handy. Learn more at TD Ameritrade.
More Reasons to Choose TD Ameritrade
In addition to the award-winning trading platform, commission-free trading, and industry experience, the following features help set TD Ameritrade apart from other online stock brokers:
- Wide variety of investment options: TD Ameritrade features investments including stocks, bonds, CDs, futures and forex, and options. It offers more than 100 commission-free ETFs and more than 1,700 no-load, no-transaction-fee mutual funds.
- Easy-to-use investing tools: TD Ameritrade offers the thinkorswim trading platform, which you can download to your desktop. You can also make trades with the web-based Trade Architect, or you can use TD Ameritrade Mobile apps on your smartphone.
- More than 100 local branches: TD Ameritrade is one of the few discount brokerages that also have physical branch locations – a great service if you prefer having someone you can meet with in person to help you craft your investment strategy. You can meet with a TD Ameritrade investment consultant to receive a free review of your financial goals and objectives. This can include recommendations for types of investments, advice on how to consolidate your investments – such as rolling over old 401(k)s – and more.
- Robust knowledge center: TD Ameritrade features a variety of educational tools, including webinars, tutorials, articles, workshops, and other learning tools.
- Objective third-party stock research: Customers have access to a variety of third-party research tools from names such as Standard & Poor’s®, Morningstar Associates®, and MarketEdge®, as well as access to unique reports like ResearchTeam.
- 24/7 customer support: You can get help with your TD Ameritrade account 24/7 by calling the customer support center at 1-800-669-3900, using the email support system, or by visiting one of more than 100 branches nationwide. TD Ameritrade customer support centers offer more than just account troubleshooting and can help with investment questions, including understanding investment options, making trades, retirement account questions, and more. Customer support is offered in English, Spanish, Cantonese, and Mandarin.
How Does TD Ameritrade Compare to Similar Brokerages?
TD Ameritrade is among the industry leaders in many areas, and it’s competitive where it counts the most, including its lack of commissions, types of investments offered, investing tools, education center, and customer service. You can even link your TD Bank account if you have one, making it easier to make transfers when you need to access your funds or add more for additional investments.
TD Ameritrade Bonus: Cash for New Accounts
Open an account today and be eligible for a cash bonus of up to $600.
*Offer valid for one new Individual, Joint, or IRA TD Ameritrade account opened by 10/31/2019 and funded within 60 calendar days of account opening. To receive $100 bonus, account must be funded with $25,000-$99,999. To receive $300 bonus, account must be funded with $100,000-$249,999. To receive $600 bonus, account must be funded with $250,000 or more. Offer is not valid on tax-exempt trusts, 401(k) accounts, Keogh plans, profit sharing plans, money purchase plans, accounts managed by TD Ameritrade Investment Management, LLC, TD Ameritrade Institutional accounts, or current TD Ameritrade accounts. Offer is not transferable, is not valid with internal transfers, and is not valid in conjunction with certain other offers. Limit one offer per client. Account value of the qualifying account must remain equal to, or greater than, the value after the net deposit was made (minus any losses due to trading or market volatility or margin debit balances) for 12 months, or TD Ameritrade may charge the account for the cost of the offer at its sole discretion. TD Ameritrade reserves the right to restrict or revoke this offer at any time. This is not an offer or solicitation in any jurisdiction where we are not authorized to do business. Please allow 3-5 business days for any cash deposits to post to account. (Offer Code: MKT600)
Taxes related to TD Ameritrade offers are your responsibility. All Promotional items and cash received during the calendar year will be included on your consolidated Form 1099. Please consult a legal or tax advisor for the most recent changes to the U.S. tax code and for rollover eligibility rules.
This offer is only available for a limited time. Contract, exercise, and assignment fees still apply. Your account must remain open with the minimum funding required for the offer for a minimum time frame or you may be required to forfeit the cash bonus. Limit one offer per new customer.