Understanding the Home Mortgage Interest Deduction, Part Two

by Laura Adams

In my last article, Understanding the Home Mortgage Interest Deduction, Part One, I gave you an introduction to the mortgage interest tax deduction and told you what’s required to claim it. You learned about the two major hurdles you have to jump over to qualify for it:

  1. You must have secured debt on a qualified home in which you have an ownership interest.
  2. You must file your federal income taxes using Form 1040 and itemize deductions on Schedule A.

Who Can Claim Home Mortgage Interest Deduction?

We covered what a secured debt is, the types of properties that qualify for this valuable tax deduction, and other situations like what happens if you rent out your second home or have a home office. We didn’t cover the ownership interest requirement—so that’s what I’m going to focus on in part two. I saved it for last because it seems to be the piece that confuses people the most.

What if You Own a Home But Are Not on the Mortgage?

time for taxesOne of the reasons people who are eligible to claim the mortgage interest deduction don’t claim it, is because they don’t get a copy of Form 1098, Mortgage Interest Statement. Mortgage lenders are required to send out Form 1098 each year to the borrower(s) on record. It shows how much you paid in interest, mortgage insurance, and deductible points during the year.

Let’s say you own a second home at the beach with your brother. The agreement you made and put in writing was that if your brother got the mortgage, you’d be responsible for some of the minor handy work and you’d each pay 50% of the mortgage. Both your names are on the title of the property but your brother is the only one listed on the mortgage—so he’ll be the only one who receives Form 1098. But since he paid half of the mortgage payments, he’s only entitled to 50% of the mortgage interest deduction and you’re entitled to the remaining 50%.

Ideally, you should get a copy of Form 1098 from your brother to submit with your tax return. You should also:

  • write a note explaining that you’re an owner of the property even though your name isn’t on the mortgage
  • include your brother’s name and address as the person who did receive Form 1098
  • show how much of the mortgage interest each of you paid

So, it doesn’t matter who receives Form 1098—if you own a qualified home with someone else and you paid mortgage interest (and itemize deductions on Schedule A), you can claim your share of the money-saving mortgage interest tax deduction.

What if You Own a Home But Are Not on the Mortgage or Title?

Another issue that comes up is whether or not you can claim the mortgage interest deduction when you’re not on the mortgage or on the title to a property. Here’s a question that I received:

My fiancé bought a home last year but I’m not on the title since my credit was not up to par. My fiancé does not work and I pay the mortgage. My question is if there’s any way I can benefit from this on my taxes or is it a complete loss for me?

In order to claim the mortgage interest deduction, you must have an ownership interest in a qualified property and be responsible for a secured debt. You’re not allowed to claim the mortgage interest deduction for someone else’s debt. So the answer to the question depends on whether the fiancé considers you an equitable owner or a renter. Without being on the title of the property or having a written agreement that you’re an owner who is indebted for the mortgage, you cannot claim the mortgage interest deduction.

What Amount of Mortgage Interest Can Co-owners Claim?

If you own a home with someone else, the rule is that you can only claim the amount of interest that you actually paid. Here’s a question about this issue:

My girlfriend and I co-own a house together 50-50. Both our names are on the mortgage and we each pay half of it. Do we both have to claim equal amounts of mortgage interest when we itemize? Or can one claim all of it and the other not itemize?

The answer is that you can only claim the deduction for the interest you actually paid. So if each person paid 50% of the mortgage, each person is only eligible to deduct 50% of the interest. However, if one person made 100% of the payments, they could claim 100% of the mortgage interest deduction.

Here’s another question:

My name is on a mortgage with my daughter-in-law. She and my son will not itemize deductions this year, but I will. Can I claim the total amount of interest even if I haven’t lived in the house? Can they take it in future years when they itemize?

The answer is that even if you’re indebted for a mortgage, you can only deduct interest for the payments you actually made. If the daughter-in-law and son made all the mortgage payments, they are the only ones entitled to the deduction, and they can take it in any year that they itemize. Unfortunately, if they don’t itemize, no one can claim the deduction.

Important Tips for Claiming the Home Mortgage Interest Deduction

As you can see, understanding who’s eligible to claim the mortgage interest deduction can be a little tricky. To give you some additional information and frequently asked questions about who’s entitled to claim the mortgage interest deduction, I created a video that you can download at SmartMovesToGrowRich.com.

Here are some final tips that can help protect you in the event of an IRS tax audit:

  • If you co-own a property and are not listed on the mortgage, never make monthly payments to a co-owner because that could be construed as paying rent. Instead, make payments directly to the lender so your ownership interest can’t be questioned.
  • If you co-own a property but aren’t named on the deed, have your ownership interest clearly defined in a written contract.
  • If you pay someone else’s mortgage debt for them, you can never deduct the mortgage interest unless you are indebted as an owner of the property.

To learn more about other kinds of money-saving tax benefits, be sure to read my recent posts on Money Girl or listen to the audio podcast.

Published or updated August 26, 2016.
Print or e-mail this article:

{ 102 comments… read them below or add one }

1 krantcents

This is good information! Good points to keep in mind before you enter into an agreement for a house.


2 Doable Finance

If you don’t get 1098 by the end of January, call the lender and they will send you one. By law, you are supposed to get one by Jan 31.


3 Prasad Narla

Hi Laura,

I just read part 2 of Understanding the Home Mortgage Interest Deduction.

I’m almost in a similar situation. I own the home 50% and my daughter 50%. But Form 1098 is on my name. But, we claimed 100% deduction in her tax return and I gave an explanation that she is the one paying whole mortgage interest and loan (she was not in the bank loan agreement when I bought the home. Now we can’t change the agreement as the home value is less than the mortgage value). since she is claiming 100% deduction, I did not claim any deduction in my return.

But, IRS refused to accept and disallowed her deduction. Could you please help me. I DO NOT MIND IF YOU CHARGE FOR YOUR TIME since this is a personal issue.



4 Laura Adams

@Prasad If your daughter itemized her deductions and can prove that she made 100% of the mortgage payments, I would dispute the IRS on this. She is entitled to the deduction. Call and speak to an IRS representative to find out if you’re missing something.


5 Prasad

Thanks for quick reply. As a matter of fact, I did send all doc evidence such as copy of my return, City’s records showing my daughter owns 50% share and copy of title where I have added my daughter with 50% ownership etc. Yet, IRS while sending notice, DID NOT EVEN REFER OUR EXPLANATION, but simply sent a letter saying they determined her claim is DISALLOWED. They further said if we want to dispute we can appeal before the Tax Court at Washington.
Pl advice


6 Laura Adams

@Prasad I neglected to say that you should have a written agreement with your daughter that says she’s responsible for 100% of the debt.


7 Prasad

Do we need to have the agreement documented any where or notarized?


8 Laura Adams

@Prasad It couldn’t hurt to have it notarized.–but I recommend that you find a local CPA who can look at your daughter’s return and all the supporting paperwork to advise you whether it’s worthwhile to push forward with a dispute. You would need to be represented by either a CPA, an Enrolled Agent (EA), or an attorney at tax court anyway.


9 Kevin

Quick question. I am a renter and am currently working on fixing my credit and I am a couple of years away from being able to secure a mortgage. My landlord and I have come to an aggreement to buy the house in the future when I can secure the loan but would like to set an amortization schedule now so a portion of my monthly payment will come off the principal thus affecting the amount I actually have to finance down the road. I am wondering if there is a way I can claim some of the interest payments even though I am not on the note? Can he transfer a protion of it to me (provided we have some kind of contractual agreement stating our intentions)?


10 Ryan Guina

You may be able to come up with a rent to purchase arrangement, but I would recommend having a lawyer review the contract to ensure that it spells out the rights and interests of each party. Any time you are dealing with a major financial purchase, it’s a good idea to put things in writing.


11 danielle

hi I have a question my grandma passed away 3 years ago and left her house behind it wasn’t paid off so me and my husband decide to take it over and just pay the monthly payment every month. we are still both in our 20 and couldn’t get a mortgage cause we have bad credit. we get all the from to claim the taxes on the house every year but have don’t it isn’t sure if we are allowed. we make every monthly payment pay all the taxes on the house and the house insurance. are we allowed to claim it on our taxes at the end of the year?


12 Ryan Guina

Danielle, I recommend visiting a tax professional for this question, and then an estate lawyer to help determine how to legally get the house in your name. This could cause problems own the road if you haven’t already done this.


13 Kevin

Question? If I am in a rent to own contract should I receive a form 1098 and am able to claim the interest on the rent to own home.


14 Buddy

I have a weird situation where I sold 5 duplexes on contract. The purchaser never fullfilled the contract and never paid the down payment. We did have a contract but I was paying on the orignal mortgage and everything was in my name (Taxes, title, etc.) He owned them for about 2 years and gave them back. I never gave him a 1098 but he deducted the interest and now the IRS wants him to pay. Any suggestions?


15 tiffany

Have a question, me and my partner are buying a house but the loan will be just in her name but I will be on title, she is on disability and I claim her on my taxes, can I claim the interest since I claim her on taxes anyway?


16 Ryan Guina

Tiffany, I don’t have a firm answer for you. I recommend speaking with a tax professional before making that move.


17 J

My elderly mom is having trouble paying her mortgage, I am considering moving in with her and make 1/2 of the monthly mortgage payments. As of now, I currently rent and have no tax write-offs and wonder if there is a way for her to add me to her deed and mortgage for tax purposes. However, I do not want this to interfere with whatever benefits she may be receiving, such as medicaid, etc. Any suggestions on how we both can benefit tax wise from my moving in and helping her with her mortgage payments?


18 Greg Balise

I have a second home in my name. My mother lives at this home and pays the mortgage payments and property tax payments herself. I do not profit of the payment and its way below market value. She actually pays about $330 a month for principal and interest. Am I able to deduct the mortage interest and property tax on my taxes. She does not work and does not file any taxes. I cant seem to get a clear answer from any one I ask.


19 Jason

Basic answer to these types of questions is no. If you did not pay for something you can’t deduct it. Technically speaking if you took her payment and paid the mortgage yourself you would then have to claim the money as income but then could take the deduction. Would also need a rental agreement and pay any applicable use taxes. And as always you should seek the advice of a CPA or tax attorney.


20 RosaLinda G Dryden

Here is my question which I will present as scenario: I bought a 2nd home as a rental investment due to that it was within the 75 miles and did not qualify as a 2nd home. The house is actually my sister’s home and she lives in it. I am the only one on the title and on the loan. She has been making payment directly to the lender however payments are in cash. There is no written agreement of ownership between us. I have not claimed this information in my taxes. I bought the house for them due to credit issues and would not qualify for the loan.
May I transfer the form 1098 amount to her so that she can claim it in her taxes?


21 Huyen

Can my sister includes my name on the title of her property even I have bad credit? Will the lender checks my credit?


22 Ning

I am a co borrower of the loans and the only one claiming 100 % of the mortgage interest deduction . But the form 1098 is not under my tax id, it ‘s under my coborrower ID number though he does not claim for it on his tax. Is this okay to put on schedule a line 10 or line 11?


23 Ryan Guina

Ning, I recommend speaking with a tax professional about this situation.


24 Marianne

My former BF recently got IRS audit as in 2011 I gave him my Mortgage interest on my house. They sent him a notice said his tax income mortgage deduction was more than what was reported to his name (he owns a small condo). I did give this mortgage interest amount to him in 2010 but it was not audited. Now the IRS wanted the 3500 refund back for the year 2011 income tax.

I want to dispute as I never claimed this amount in my income tax as I made nothing during that year. Is it OK to dispute and state that he helped me paying during my depression time & loosing business after loss my late parents back to back? Or can I say I give him this mortgage interest as we had previously agreed that he would help me such following…?

What is the best way to approach to refute this IRS refund charge back? I don’t have the money to give back, period.

Any sounded advice? Contacted CPA & Tax attorneys who both turned down to take my case but advised to pay up. Thank you.


25 Ryan Guina

Marianne, I’m not a tax professional, but so far as I know, you cannot transfer deductions to another person for tax reasons, unless you are legally married. My recommendation is to follow the advice of tax professionals. They have experience in these matters.


26 Ann Marie

HELP, I think I’m getting the short end of the stick!

I purchased my mom’s home from her in March of 2012 under an agreement of purchase that is not filed. I and have been making her mortgage payments since I do not qualify for a loan and it’s a VA loan to boot. The lawyer did not file the warranty deed putting me on the property as current owner (I filed it in January of 2014). The agreement that the lawyer wrote was that she could claim all interest and deductions from the loan payments so long as the loan is in her name. Was the lawyer correct in that she can legally claim the deductions? This will be the second year she is refusing to allow me to use the deductions and yet she is not paying gift tax or claiming it as income.


27 Ryan Guina

Ann, I don’t think you can legally claim the interest deduction on a loan that isn’t in your name. This is something you will need to discuss with your lawyer and/or a tax professional.


28 Israel

Hi, me & my girlfriend both purchased a property and both our names are on the 1098 form. I make about 65% of the payment for tax, mi, & mortgage but want her to claim 100% of the deduction to make things easier since I am deducting our 2 daughters. I don’t want to have to do the percentages on the the deductions . Will his be an issue in CA??



29 Ryan Guina

I don’t have a good answer here. I recommend speaking with a tax professional who can walk you through your specific situation. Best of luck.


30 james rios

This is helping me out a bunch but the question I have is this. I own a house but I don’t live in it. My name is still on the mortgage, I have a partner who became a middle man or third party if you will, who helped “sell” the house to my renters, and now are owners, but if they don’t pay the gentleman who is the middle man is not responsible, I am, if anyone else defaults on this loan it falls on me, I am taken off the note only in the even that the the owners living in the house refinance or the third party guy refinances, other than that it is in my name for the next 3-4 yrs. What can I claim especially since they are behind and ruining my credit. I know I probably should not have listened to others and gone against my better judgement but I did. So now what?


31 Noemi


My sister and brother in-law helped me buy a house two years ago. I am not on title or mortgage but I make the mortgage payments and I can prove it. I understand that it is a challenge to deduct interest and property taxes since my name is nowhere. But if my name is added to title prior to filing taxes for 2013. Can I deduct them then?


32 Kyle

Hi Laura,
Great article, thanks.
Can you offer guidance on the following? My wife and I live with my elderly parents. The home is in a life estate in NY with my parents as life tenants and me and my siblings as heirs.

We are planning to add an apartment to the home (commonly known as a mother-daughter as it is only legal in our township if the apartment is for a blood relative) for my wife and I. I spoke to our bank, who advised they will write the refi mortgage (with written consent from all the heirs, which will not be a problem). My wife and I will be paying 100% of the mortgage, so I would assume that besides holding the mortgage with my parents, a letter from them stating that we have paid 100% of the mortgage will suffice? This also will surely pass the smell test for “ownership interest.”

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated!


33 Doug

My wife and I are paying on a piece of property with a mobile home on it. It’s considered one piece of property but with two addresses on it. Recently, my parents put up a modular home on the other part of the property. Currently my wife and I aren’t getting the tax benefits for the property payments/property taxes because my dad paid cash for the property and we’re paying him directly.
I’m going to ask my dad about me being added to thier home as an owner so I can deduct the payments. Or, can I make their mortgage payments and property taxes and deduct the interest and taxes without being added as long as I can show that I am the one making all the payments?


34 Ryan Guina

That is a great question, Doug. This is a situation where you should speak with a tax professional help you set up a situation where you will be lawfully eligible to make the tax deduction.


35 david heckathorne

i bought my parents a home six years ago for them to live in and they still do. the home and mortgage is in my name and my name only. i get a 1098 at the end of each year for taxes and interest paid. my parents pay me no rent.

i have never claimed a deduction of any kind for this home on my personal tax return.

can i claim the interest paid and real estate taxes on the home?

can i put the home on schedule e and claim all expenses and claim income what would be the fair market value as rental income?



36 Ryan Guina

David, you should speak to a tax professional about your situation.


37 Mary-Lou

My daughter and her boyfriend bought a condo together her name is not on the deed or the mortgage is she entitled to claim any interest on her income tax? Does she have any rights to this property? She contributes to the monthly mortgage payments and has put down more of a down payment for the purchase of the condo then her boyfriend.


38 Ryan Guina

Mary-Lou, I’m not sure what legal rights she has if her name is not on the mortgage. This could be a sticky situation if anything happens to their relationship. I highly recommend she speak with a real estate attorney to ensure she has her name added to the mortgage if possible, or at least have a legal document drawn up that gives her legal ownership in the condo.


39 Judy Haliburda

My boyfriend bought me a condo only his name on mortgage. Both names on title. Who is responsible for taxes. I have full survivorship.


40 Marc Luna

Great information! My situation is similar…
Mom is on the Mortgage, we have all 3 been added as owners on the deed. We have been giving the money to mom to pay the mortgage so we have been paying 100%. What form do we use to claim interest 1098? and can we go back the last 2 years (3 in total)?


41 Troy

My ex and I divorced 3 years ago, both of our names are on the mortgage loan. She has not lived there for 3 years and I make all of the house payments. She has no financial ties to the house except that her name is still on the loan (trying to get her name off an upside down loan is hard). My question is this, per our divorce decree I have sole possesion of the house and full responsibility of payment, am I entitiled to claim the interest on my taxes being as I paid 100% of the house payments?



42 Ryan Guina

Yes, Troy, you should be able to claim 100% of the interest since you have a court order that gives you sole possession of the house and full responsibility of the payment. Just be sure to keep a copy of the court order should any questions arise from the situation. It would be in your best interest to have her name removed from the loan as soon as possible, simply to prevent any future claims on the property. Best of luck.


43 heath

If two people are on a mortgage and one does not pay there half. How can i get them out?
Is there a way to do so?


44 Ryan Guina

Heath, it depends on what you mean. How can you get them out of the house? How can you get their name removed from the mortgage paperwork? I recommend you speak with a real estate attorney who can help you with your specific situation. Best of luck.


45 Suzy

My husband passed away two years ago, and I continue making monthly payments to the Lender on the house, using checks with my name on them (so the Lender and I have proofs that I have been the person who pays for the mortgage). My name is not on the mortgage, but is on the deed – which now has been awarded Years’ support by the Probate court. I have filed taxes last year as a widow and claimed the mortgage interest, and plan to do it for this year’s taxes. I understand that I will have to change my filing status to Head of Household in the years after this year (unless I am remarried). My question is, can I still continue claiming the mortgage interests in the future, when the 1098 is addressed to my late husband’s name and his SSN? Or should I refinance the house and transfer the name over to mine?


46 Ryan Guina

Suzy, I’m sorry to hear about your loss. To be honest, I’m not sure you will have to refinance the house if it was awarded to you in Probate. Unfortunately, I”m not 10% certain on how the process works. My recommendation is to contact the estate attorney who closed your husband’s estate, and see what needs to be done to get the home, or loan, in your name. If he isn’t able to do it, he should be able to recommend a real estate attorney who can help you with the process. Best of luck with this.


47 Debbie

Hi, I have a dilemma. I worked very little this year and own a home my name is on deed and mortgage and my domestic partner who has been living with me for 11yrs has been helping with the payments, I use some of my child support to pay what I can towards the mortgage as well. We file separately in the past and I claimed head of household as I do have a my son living with me and claim EIC. But now that I made very little this past year will I still be able to do my taxes and claim my deductions as always or would it be better if we got married we were going to anyway at some point would that make it easier and just file a joint return. I am very confused about how its going to work. I only worked 3 months out of this year making maybe 3,000 not even this year. Any help would be appreciated.


48 Ryan Guina

Debbie, this is a question with many variables. Your best bet would be to contact a tax professional for specific advice on your situation.


49 Brian

?I co-own a property with my son who is not named on the deed, is there a standard written contract that I can fill out to have his ownership interest clearly defined or do I have to make one up myself?


50 Ryan Guina

Brian, I would contact a real estate lawyer so you can get a formal legal contract. It will save you a lot of time and money in the long run (it will also help you avoid costly probate or taxes in the event one of you dies).


51 Ivan Amos

My partner and I own two vacation homes and a primary home. Both are listed as owners on all the mortgages. We share the primary mortgage payment but each pay the mortgage on one vacation house. Can we each claim the total mortgage interest, taxes on one of the vacation house plus half the primary residence?


52 Ryan Guina

Ivan, I’m not sure the exact answer to your question, but your total financial situation is probably such that it is worth the investment in using a tax professional to prepare your taxes. A tax professional should be able to help you find immediate tax savings with your current situation and can help you with long-term tax planning. In the long run, you should save more than you spend on the tax preparer. I would call around and interview a couple accountants and interview them based on your financial situation. You will be better off in the long run. Best of luck!


53 dennis

Me and my wife are legally separated but she and my children reside in the home . I am the only one the deed and the mortgage. Can she deduct the mortgage interest or the real estate taxes on her taxes returns? I thought that only the person that is on the secured note or mortgage can claim it.


54 Ryan Guina

Dennis, my understanding is the person whose name is on the deed can claim the mortgage interest deduction if they pay the mortgage and live there. However, I’m not sure how it works in the case of a divorce or legal separation. I recommend speaking with a tax professional to make sure this is handled properly.


55 Josh

My fiancé and I purchased a home last year; we share a bank account and are both eligible to claim 50%. Both of us are listed on the bank account and house title. All tax/mortgage payments are made from our joint account. My question is, would it be more beneficial for one of us to claim 100% of the taxes (the other claiming $0)? We file separately & I make about $30k more a year, so I’m not sure if it would impact the overall return to put the entire thing under her or my return.


56 Ryan Guina

Josh, I can’t answer your question off the top of my head. The best way to answer your question is to run the situation through your taxes both ways. You can easily do this if you use a tax software program such as TurboTax, H&R Block @ Home, TaxACT, etc. Just don’t file until you know the best action to take.


57 Nandha

I own a house in which I lived for 5 years before moving out to a different state this year in august. I was able to rent out the house starting september. Can I claim deduction of the property tax and mortgage interest in my taxes? Should I deduct them proportionately for the period I lived in that house.

Secondly, can I offset the rent I am paying now against the rental income I am receiving from my home (mentioned above)


58 Brian

Nandha, Even though others are renting your house, as long as your name is on the mortgage note and you are paying the monthly mortgage you can claim property tax and mortgage interest on your taxes each year….In regards to the rent you are currently paying there is no such thing as an offset I’m afraid, but the rental income you are receiving is regarded as income by the IRS and subject to taxes if you report it.


59 Jessica

My husband and I are living with my parents. The home and mortgage is in their name. For the over a year, I have been paying the mortgage by direct transfer from my bank account to my mother’s. My parents are not filling taxes this year as they don’t have an income. They would like for us to be allowed the write-off. Is this possible? If so, what type of documentation would I need to send to the IRS?


60 Christine


Hi. I read your publication and we found it very interesting and well written. However, we have a client in a similar situation and we are trying to back up claiming the interest on his home even though the home is in his parents name. He has the 1098 from the bank with his parents name on it, he is on the deed however in order to nulify the IRS we are in need of the publication number from the IRS and what it says and/or where this info was pulled from while writing your article. Thanks again for the info…Christine at the tax office


61 Eva

My husband and I live in a home that is financed through my son. We have an agreement with my son that we will put the mortgage in our name and have made all the montly payments.My son doesn’t live here anymore. Can we claim the mortgage interest? Can we claim the property tax credit? if we can claim the property tax credit, how would that work since we are not renters?


62 Sama

I need some help for my mortgage deduction. I am paying my mortgage in New York where my home is but I live now in ALabama. All my income is from Alabama where I lived the whole 2014. I know I can claim my mortgage interest from the federal but my question is: Can I claim the Mortgage Interest and Real State Tax in my Alabama return or not?

Thank you


63 Mike

Through a lawyer in 2012 My mother and I signed papers and tramsferring the property to my name, the agreement gives her right to live there until she dies, mortgage is in her name but i pay it. the mortgage payments get taken out of her account though, records department has me on file as owner, property interest forms comes in her name. can I claim property taxes and insurance for the home on my taxes rven if my name is nowhere there?


64 Lori

Thank you for publishing this important information. My ex-husband and I entered into a business deal for the purchase of a home. A contract was drawn that shows it is my primary residence and that I would be paying all mortgage, taxes and Homeowners Insurance. I am not on the mortgage, but I am on the title/deed. I have been paying the mortgage for 4 years and he has been writing off the interest from his income taxes. I had asked if I could use the write-off and he said no. I did not know the law and did not want to jeopardize my own tax filing so I did not pursue.

Long story short, is there some sort of real tax law, like RCW, that I could refer to so that I can let him know, with legal fact, that I will be writing off the interest from now on as I am the only one making the payments?

Thank you.


65 Ryan Guina

Lori, I recommend speaking with a real estate attorney or tax professional for your situation. This isn’t something I can advise on. Best of luck.


66 Barb Cox

We own a home. Our son lives there and pays the mortgage. We do not rent to him. he is responsible for everything.
The house we live in is a rental we rent from someone.
Do we only take our rent payment as deduction or are we still allowed to deduct our mortgage interest and taxes on the one we own.


67 Latoya Calligan

Hi… this question is about paying the taxes on a house…the house was left between me and two other siblings and I’m the only one who pays the taxes…I was told if I pay it for so long by myself some kind of way I can get full owership…is that true? If so just need to know what I need to do…thanks for your time


68 Ryan Guina

Latoya, to be honest, I don’t know how that works. I recommend speaking with a real estate attorney to better understand how those laws work. You may also wish to speak with an estate lawyer to see if they have information about how property transfers work when left to multiple people. The concern is if this is a joint property, then all property owners are responsible for the taxes. You should have some kind of agreement in place regarding who pays the taxes, and if the other part-owners fail to pay those taxes, how the issue will be handled. The last thing you want to happen is to assume ownership of the property without your siblings being aware of their rights of ownership. This could lead to bad blood or potential lawsuits, all of which you want to avoid. If you can’t come to an agreement over how to pay the taxes, then you may decide as a group that it is best to sell the property and split the proceeds. However you decide to do it, I encourage you to include your siblings in the process to avoid any long-term problems.


69 hadiqa

I bought a house but since I wasn’t working and had no credit, the house was bought on my brother’s name. But I am actual owner who is paying the mortgage . My question is, how do I claim my tax return since it comes on his name? How much I am entitled to since I am not working and my husband is paying the mortgage and the tax return claim comes in my brothers name? Thanks.


70 Grace Whelan

my husband sadly is the mortgage holder for his ex wife. Her name is not on the mortgage but on the deed. She has been late 36 times and we get the calls from Wells Fargo. She gets the mortgage interest statements each year and files it with her taxes. My question is how can she do that when it is addressed to him to her address? Her name is not on that mail just his and we live somewhere else with our own address.


71 Ryan Guina

Grace, speak to a real estate attorney. They can advise you on the legality of the situation.


72 charles zubillaga

This is what I thought and have been told by many IRS agents. I’m on the mortgage and my mother pays it. I have never claim the interest. The IRS has been harassing her for years now for gross negligence. The last time I spoke with them they told me to send another document stating all of the facts have it notarized and send in my mother’s bank statements. Then they proceed to send more threatening letters and have my mom on a payment plan now. What can I do this is horrific…


73 Susan

In order to deduct mortgage interest on a home that I am temporarily renting to others, how recently do I have to have livd there? I am unsure as to whether it is wo or three of the last five years.


74 Scott

I have been paying the house payment including insurance, taxes, and interest on my girlfriend’s property since July 2014. I am not on the mortgage nor am I on title for the property. I want to quit-claim onto the title. My understanding is that I would be eligible to claim the interest deduction on schedule A. However, how much of the interest can I claim if I get on title in October of 2015? – Scott


75 Lynn


My husband passed away in late 2014. I have paid the mortgage for the entire year of 2015 however, my name is not on the Mortgage, nor am I on the deed/title to the home. I am the owner of the Trust and he had a Will as well that willed everything to me. It states that I can stay in the house as long as I want and as long as the mortgage and taxes are paid. I have proof that I have paid the mortgage on time each month. He had a quit claim deed and I had that filed and I believe the home is now in the name of the Trust…which I am the owner of. I need to know if I can claim the interest on my taxes. The 1098 will come to the house in his name. I am in the state of Michigan. Please advise. Thank you so much. With Love


76 Ryan Guina

Hello Lynn, I’m sorry about your loss. I recommend speaking with an attorney who specializes in estates and/or real estate to help you get your name transferred to the deed. This will prevent many problems in the future, as well as make things easier with your bank and the IRS. As for claiming the tax break, I am not certain. I would speak with a tax professional to make sure this is legal. In the mean time, getting the mortgage and paperwork transferred to your name should be a priority. Best of luck with this situation.


77 Raj


Me & My Brother are planning to Own a house together. We both are single and are tax payers and have been filing separately. Can we get a mortgage together as co-borrower? and once we get the mortgage and in our Individual single tax return filing can we deduct individually and avail the benefits of paying for the house? I’ll really appreciate your guidance with this. Thanks a lot.

Raj N


78 nancy

Hi, my sister’s husband died before getting her listed on the deed and the mortgage. She is the survivor and has his will that will be probated in Feb. She has been paying the mortgage and bills and receiving rent since June. She has been told that she can not claim the mortgage deduction. Is that correct? Thanks so much,


79 Ryan Guina

Nancy, I recommend she speak with a tax professional. Asking a question on behalf of your sister is noble, but she should be the person to ask, and she should present all the pertinent information to the tax professional, who can assist her with filing her taxes and claiming the mortgage interest if she is able.


80 Tom

I got married 11/02/14
My Wife owns a homes and lived with her elderly mother.The home still has a mortgage she spends 3 days and night with her mother has her own business.So needs her write offs, mortgage interest restate taxs ect . I have a mortgage and need that also can we file separately and keep the deductions?


81 Lori

I did not claim my interest on a my mortgage last year and wanted to know how i can claim it? I have a 1098 for the year 2014 and need to know if i can claim it on my 2015 Tax return or do i have to amend my 2014 Tax return?


82 Thomas Parks

In my divorce the ex got possession of the home and pays the mortgage. The mortgage is solely in my name and the 1098 is in my name. Legally who can claim the deduction?


83 Ryan Guina

Hi Thomas, I’m not certain. I would speak with a tax professional or lawyer for your situation. I would also look into legally changing the name on the mortgage. If your ex doesn’t continue making payments, the bank could come after you. This isn’t something you want hanging over your head.


84 Robyn

Ok so heres the situation. My husband and I are getting divorced. We bought a house in 2007, he was only on the title due to bad credit, in 2012 he had an affair ( I did not know about at the time) and when we refinanced he had them throw in a Quit claim with out me knowing before hand. I didn’t think about it then, but now it all makes sense..he walked out in 2014. He has been paying the mortgage because I have his daughter in the house. He wants to claim the house on his taxes this year but his name is now not on anything to do with it mortgage or title. Can he legally claim it? He also pays out of a company account he owns which is still technically half mine since we are not divorced yet. Thanks


85 Tony

I was laid off work and qualified for help through harp. My mortgage was paid for almost the entire year until I went back to work. Am I still eligible to claim the interest deduction even though my mortgage was paid by harp


86 Bryan

I work as a Department of Defense employee in Germany and I bought a house over here. Can I deduct any mortgage interest or costs associated with my house on my taxes? This is the only home I own.
Thank you


87 regina

My husband and i purchased a house with my brother-in-law. The 1089 only has our name. And my brother in law doesn’t live with us since we got the house. Can he still claim the 1089?


88 El

My parents just refinanced their home and I also came on as a borrower. I am on deed but my name does not show up on mortgage statement. They received their tax information with only their names on it. I do live in the house and I do pay part of mortgage. Am I entitled to claim 25% of interest? Would I have to ask mortgage company to send another 1089 with my name on it?


89 Suzi

My husband lives with our nephew. All of last year my husband paid the mortgage bill. His name is NOT on the title of the house or the bank loan. Our nephew wants to assign his interest rights over to my husband for this past year so that he can get the tax break. Can this be done if it’s put in writing and/or notarized?


90 Carmen

Hi my husband and I are disabled, our daughter has been giving us money to make the mortgage payments for the last 10 years, she is in the tittle but not on the loan, she has been claiming the interest paid but is now been audited by the IRS since the payments are made out of our personal checking account but the money is giving to us by her what do we need to do to help her with the audit? can you please help me?
Thank you


91 joe

is it possible to claim the interest paid on a mortgage, if you have only social security as income.if so i would appreciate any information you may have.thank you i am looking forward to hearing from you


92 Alan

I own a sole owner of a home. My sister lives in it and sends a check to my mortgage company. I get the 1098 at the end of the year. Who gets to deduct the interest?


93 Richard Stieglitz

Hi wondering, My sisters has a condo that she has been paying the mortgage on in the past. Unfortunately, she no longer can afford to make the payments. I want to make the payments on it directly to the lender from now on. Do I have to add my name to the deed, to be able to take the tax deduction. Thanks in advance


94 Michelle

I have two questions;
I put down 70% on a house while the other person put down 30%. We both pay half of the mortgage and are now selling. Does the person who put down 30% get 50% of the gain on the house?
If one of the people listed on the house does not live at the house but pays half of the mortgage can they get the tax credit for primary residence and can the other person claim all of it if they live there 100% of the time?


95 Lloyd

My sister and I inherited my Mother’s home in 2014. The house is paid off and both our names are on the deed. She pays all the taxes. Can she deduct all the tax on her return or should it be deducted 50-50 regardless of who pays them? I say she can deduct all and she says it is 50-50. Thanks.


96 Heather

My husband is not on the title or the mortgage– I pay all the bills. He uses a home office for his tutoring business. Am I allowed to mark that he is a home owner so we can deduct the mortgage insurance? I won’t deduct the mortgage insurance then.



I have been paying the house mortgage and i wanted to know if I can claim it on the income return even though its in both our names and he ever claims it. He lives with his mom and I in the house yet I can’t change it to my name unless the mortgage is paid for. I haven’t claimed it in years.


98 Samantha


My husband passed away a little over a year ago, the mortgage and deed are both in just his name. I did file probate in court and I became the administrator over the estate. I pay the mortgage, taxes, insurance and home owner association fees. Can I claim it on my taxes at the end of the year?


99 Ryan Guina

Samantha, I’m sorry for your loss. I don’t have an answer for you, as laws vary by state. I recommend speaking with an estate lawyer or tax professional for your situation. They can help you understand your options, including whether or not you can get the mortgage or deed changed to your name. I wish you the best.


100 Sheri

Both myself and my ex-husband are on the mortgage for my home. The home is mine in the divorce papers but he makes the house payment as long as our minor children are living in the home. He sends the $ to me and I make the actual payment. Most years neither of us have enough expenses to itemize but I might this year. Can I claim the mortgage interest?


101 Joey

My mother is 72 and in a very limited income

My sister and I are going to take a loan out to buy her a small duplex
My mom is going to put 100000 from her condo sale and the loan will be 160000. My question is should we all three be on title


102 Kate


My mother’s name is on the deed and the mortgage, but I have been paying the mortgage all along and all the other bills in the house. I had no credit after divorce and had to have my mom get the mortgage in her name. My tax preparer has been claiming the interest on my taxes. As it turns out, he has been also claiming the payments made by me as income on my parents’ tax returns. Now my mom is saying that the mortgage that I pay, I cannot claim the interest on because it is income to her and she cannot allow me to do it anymore because she is retired now and cannot have that extra income on her taxes… but I pay it directly to the mortgage company… can you please explain why this is income to her, and does it have to be shown as income on her taxes when it is my debt and the house is mine too.

thank you


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: