With Thanksgiving a happy memory, now is the perfect time to sit down, relax and plan out your holiday shopping for the year. Take out a pen and paper and write down everyone you’ll need to buy gifts for this Christmas. Create a budget on just how much you’re willing to spend and STICK TO IT. Once your list is complete, you’re ready to go holiday shopping!
The key to a great holiday shopper is knowing how to extend your budget and how to wow with the gifts you buy. We’ll help you with the latter in this article, as we’ve compiled 25 great Christmas gift ideas under $50. All of these gifts can be purchased online and if you look hard enough, you might be able to find them even cheaper with the use of online coupon codes or by shopping on Black Friday. The list has Christmas gift ideas for mom, dad, siblings friend coworkers and pretty much anyone else you would want to buy a Christmas gift for.
Though we all have those close family and friends that we want to do a little something more for, well, don’t worry, we have some ideas for those special people in your life as well. Enjoy!
Christmas Gift Ideas Under $50
1. 3-in-1 Breakfast Center(Amazon: $30.99). Cooking eggs on your stove can be tough and messy so why not cook them in your toaster? Believe it or not this toaster has room for your egg while you’re toasting and you can brew that perfect pot of coffee right alongside. Talk about multitasking first thing in the morning!
2. Hand Selected Red and White Wines from Napa Valley(Tasting Room: $24.95). Before you go thinking you can give out six gifts with one purchase, these are only tasting bottles, each with 50ml. You can handpick any six bottles you want to form your set, and then have it shipped right to your door.
3. ProActive Sports Trunk It Golf Gear Organizer(Amazon: $28.86). I wish I had one of these (hint, hint) because for the golfer, it’s quite a hassle to get everything you need into one organized space. A golf bag just won’t cut it and this organizer is perfect.
4. Sushi Serving Set (Amazon: $26.99). Have to be honest that I’m not the biggest fan of sushi but I’m the minority. This gift is a great deal for that person on your list that you know is a Sushi lover, or a cook, this makes for a great gift.
5. Stylish Engraved Pill Box (Amazon: $17.99). This gift is obviously geared for the older generation with the ability to engrave the box with anything of your choosing. While this might not be the most exciting gift you’ll give this Christmas, it’s fills a necessity in style.
6. Remote Control Helicopter (Amazon: ~$20.00). These remote control helicopters are a blast, and are very affordable. They are great for people of all ages and bring hours of enjoyment.
7. Hoodie with Headphones (Amazon: $31.95). Another gift that accomplishes two things at one, this hooded sweatshirt provides heat and music at the same time. Pockets in the front make sure you can fit your iPod or any other MP3 player comfortably.
8. Bill and Coin Jar (Amazon: $35.99). As a kid, I had a number of different money banks, all that did something different. I loved to watch the coins fall down the shoot, light things up and make cool sounds. This bank actually keeps track of the money inside it, coins and bills, so you won’t have to count your cash!
9. Bubble Wall Mount Fish Tank (Amazon: $16.99). If you have a friend in need of a pick-me-up, a fish is a great idea. Regular fish bowls are pretty boring though, so why not get something you can mount on any wall! Installation is easy and hassle free.
10. As Good As Gold (GiftTree.com: $44.95). One of the more expensive gifts on our list, this golden collection of imported gourmet sweets will make any chocolate lover in your family happy! You can order online and set it to be delivered when you need it!
11. Black Finish 5 Piece Fireplace Set (Amazon: $38.98). Again specific to colder climates, a fireplace set ensures that fires are not only beautiful places for warmth but also safe. A good fire needs oxygen and there’s nothing stupider than trying to move burning logs around with your hands.
12. Shiatsu Select Foot Massager with Heat (Bed, Bath & Beyond: $49.99). The perfect gift for any wife or girlfriend! Not really the foot massaging type, but I’ll certainly be buying one of these this year!
13. Emerson Refractor Telescope w/ Tripod (Sears: $27.98). This isn’t your “look for new planets” type telescope, but for just under $30, you can get a clear picture of sporting events, birds, or anything else within a solid mile. Don’t use it to spy on your neighbors though.
14. Woman’s Cable Knit Boot Slipper (Target: $19.99). I had the girlfriends help on this one because this doesn’t seem to be the most awesome of gifts but she absolutely loves it. Just goes to show you that men don’t understand what women want sometimes.
15. Charter Club Plush Throw (Macys: $40.00). This blanket/throw is perfect for colder climates during winter nights. It comes in a variety of colors and is comprised of machine-washable polyester
16. LeapFrog Leapster GS Explorer (Toys R Us: $44.98). Giving this gift to a young child will definitely get them smiling. This hand held game for under $50 is a great way for kids to have fun and learn at the same time!
17. Shower Radio and Anti-Fog Mirror (Bed Bath & Beyond: $39.99). Another gift of many talents, this device is perfect for the wanna-be singers who love to belt a high tone in the shower. It doubles as a mirror so you can shave while singing. Might be a bit dangerous though, so proceed with caution.
18. Thick Canvas Rucksack (Amazon: $28.99). I wish I was more of an outdoors-man but sadly, that’s not the case. Nevertheless, any good mountain climber or camper needs a place to keep all of their clothing and gadgets and this rucksack certainly does a nice job.
Vintage Canvas & Leather Rucksack Price: $28.99 Channel your inner Indiana Jones with this stylish and affordable canvas backpack. Perfect for school, work, travel, and outdoors adventures. Full Disclosure: We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.
19. Leather Sleeve Tablet Case (Amazon: $14.99). This tablet case is perfect when taking a long trip, as it’s slick and sleek. Tablets are easily damaged during transport (and more specifically during flight) so rather than buying an extended warranty, protect that tablet with this great idea!
20. Apple iPod 2gb Shuffle (Apple Store: $49.00). The most expensive gift on our list, you can snatch up an Apple iPod 2gb Shuffle for the music lover in your family and make their Christmas a littler merrier!
21. Romantic Snood (Etsy: $46.00). I was wondering what a snood was before this, but apparently it’s a scarf/hoodie combination, perfect for women who like to be cold in style. The reviews are all from women who love it, so that would suggest this is a strong wife/girlfriend buy.
22. 15 Piece Stainless Steel Faberware Cutlery Set (Target: $33.99). Having a good knife in the kitchen is important to making a good meal and if you can’t afford the absolute best (which in my opinion is Cutco) then you should look for durable, long lasting, high performance knives. And here they are.
23. Rockin’ Rider Rocking Pony (Walmart: $36.93). Another thoughtful gift for a young child, the Rockin’ Rider Pony rocks and sings to your child while they are riding away into the sunset. Don’t get the wrong idea though, this Pony won’t get you very far!
24. Bluetooth Earbuds (Amazon: 25.00). Anyone with a smart phone or iPod, would love a set of Bluetooth earbuds that they could use every day. This is not only great for the younger generation but for those who work at a desk, or out working in the yard, they won’t be dealing with those pesky cords anymore!
Wireless Earbuds - Bluetooth Headphones Price: $25.00 Wireless Earbuds: TaoTronics Bluetooth Headphones with Inline Controls. Perfect for travel and exercise: weighs only 0.53 oz / 15 g. Full Disclosure: We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.
25. $50 Gift Card. Who doesn’t like a gift card? I mean as long as it is to a place that they actually enjoy. If you are unsure, just choose a Visa or American Express gift card that could be used at many locations.
26. Give an Adventure. Several years ago my wife and I went skydiving and went on a hot air balloon ride. These were fairly expensive adventures but they were also well worth the money! You can find similar experiences that aren’t outside of your $50 budget though. Other ideas include taking an outdoors trip like biking, hiking, boating, camping, rock climbing, etc.
27. Create a Memory. Memories last longer than most presents you can put under a tree. Consider organizing a family reunion, giving tickets to a concert or sporting event, visiting a museum or aquarium, going to a national park, seeing monuments, or anything else your loved ones would enjoy and remember for years. You can typically find coupon codes online to apply towards your purchase of special event tickets, make sure to check out local deals in your area.
28. Give Memories. Share the memories you have made with someone close to you or commemorate a special event in their life. You can make a collage of photos from their childhood, frame a picture you took on vacation, make a scrap book, create a personalized map with markers showing the locations you’ve been as a couple or as a family, and many other special gifts. You can order images online and choose to have them mailed to you rather than picked up in store for less.
29. Give the Gift of Learning. Chances are you know many people who often say, “I wish I could fill in the blank...” That blank is usually something like, play piano or another instrument, speak a foreign language, dance, cook a gourmet meal, fly an airplane, or many other activities. Giving the gift of lessons gives your loved one the opportunity to fulfill their dream.
30. Hobby Gift Basket. Like the gift above, a hobby gift basket gives someone the tools to participate in their favorite hobby. Ideas include a sushi making set, cake decorating kit, sewing, knitting or quilting equipment, beer brewing kit (I’ve used the Mr. Beer home brewery kit; it makes good beer!), wine making equipment, recipe box with family recipes, photography accessories, and more.
31. Handmade Gifts. This is a great gift for children to give because they are often full of creativity, but light on money. Ideas include painting a picture, writing a poem or book, coupon books (for things like chores), or other gifts children can easily make. Adults can make handmade gifts as well. Popular gifts include handmade quilts and blankets, knitted sweaters and scarves, pottery, woodworking, and more. Gift options are limited only by your imagination and abilities, and you certainly don’t have to spend money to have a great Christmas!
32. Make the Gift a Treasure Hunt. My wife told me about one of her family traditions when she was growing up. When her family gave gifts that were difficult to wrap, like a sled or bike, they would turn it into a treasure hunt by giving clues that guide the way to another clue, then another. Making a treasure hunt is more fun that just setting the gift next to the tree.
33. Give a Book that has Inspired You or Changed Your Life. Almost everyone has read a book that made a lasting impression on them. Sharing that book with another person is a nice way to give them insight into what makes you tick. When you give this book, be sure to tell the person you are giving it to why the book means so much to you. You can even write it in the title page so they can look back on it later.
Bonus: Give to someone you don’t know. There are many ways you can give gifts to people you don’t know. You can adopt a family, answer letters to Santa Claus, drop off gifts for Toys for Tots, volunteer at Habitat for Humanity, visit a nursing home or children’s hospital, give to military members through the USO, and much more. Donating items is also a great way to regift unwanted gifts you received.
Your gift ideas are limited only by the imagination. Instead of giving your family the latest and greatest gizmo that will only end up in a closet by this time next year, give them something they can use and cherish. They will enjoy it more and remember it longer. Merry Christmas!
More Christmas Gift Ideas: