Cash Money Life has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Cash Money Life and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
Do you ever wonder why credit card companies offer different versions of the same card? And what’s the difference between gold and platinum anyway… prestige and bragging rights? Not really. No one cares about the credit card in your wallet unless it is the American Express Centurion Card (unofficially known as the Amex Black Card). And then people only care because they are superficial or they think you’re silly for spending ten grand in annual fees. But I digress… The short answer is there is more than just a color difference between green, gold, and platinum. These cards deliver a variety of different and valuable services and benefits.
Comparing Benefits of the American Express Gold Card and The Platinum Card® from American Express
Each of these cards offers cardholders a variety of valuable rewards, services, and other perks. There are many common features among these cards, and some of the benefits are exclusive to a particular card, such as the Gold Card events or the concierge service available only to The Platinum Card® from American Express cardholders.
Membership Rewards® program. These cards all come with free membership to the American Express Membership Rewards® program for no additional fee. So you can use your rewards card to make purchases, book travel, or redeem them for gift cards or other perks. Cardholders earn points based on purchases, with most purchases rewarding members with a minimum of one point per dollar spent on all purchases. Some purchases reward the cardholder with bonus points. Rewards can be redeemed for gift cards, items, travel, or can be transferred to airline or hotel miles. There is no limit to the amount of points that can be earned, and points never expire.
Here are just some of the perks you expect with the American Express Gold Card and The Platinum Card® from American Express.
|Card Feature||American Express Gold Card||The Platinum Card® from American Express|
|Auto Rental Insurance||Yes||Yes|
|Use points for airline/hotel miles||Yes||Yes|
|Identity Theft Assistance||Yes||Yes|
|Access to Gold Card Events||Yes||Yes|
|Complimentary Access to Airport Lounges||–||Available at Select Airports|
|Travel Accident Insurance||Yes||Yes|
Sign-Up Bonuses for these American Express Cards
These American Express Cards each come with a welcome bonus for new cardholders.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending a minimum of $4,000 on eligible purchases within the first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after spending a minimum of $5,000 on purchases within the first 6 months of Card Membership.
American Express Gold Card Details
- 4X points on restaurants worldwide, including takeout, delivery, and Uber Eats.
- 4X points at U.S. supermarkets on your first $25,000 per calendar year in purchases; 1X points afterward.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Dining Credit. Earn up to a $10 monthly statement credit when dining with GrubHub and select restaurants. Enrollment required.
- $120 Uber Cash per year – add your Gold Card and automatically earn $10 Uber Cash each month, redeemable for rides in the U.S. or Uber Eats.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Terms Apply.
- $250 Annual Fee
The Platinum Card® from American Express Details
- 10X points on eligible purchases at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with amextravel.com on up to $500,000 per calendar year.
- 5X points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Receive Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US each year. Limitations apply.
- Complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection airport lounge access program.
- Complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties.
- $100 in statement credits each year for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue; $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- Terms Apply.
Annual Fees – A Hidden Value
These American Express cards offer generous benefits, but they come at a price. Each of these cards carries an annual fee. The renewal fee for the American Express Gold Card is $250. The Platinum Card from American Express has an annual fee of $550.
The Annual Fee can pay for itself. The benefits you receive for using these cards can far exceed the annual renewal fee, depending on your usage. For example, the American Express Gold Card comes with $120 in dining credits. Add in the other perks, and the $250 annual fee doesn’t seem so high, provided you will use the included benefits.
The Platinum Card from American Express has even more built-in value for cardholders. The face value of the benefits is a combined $850 in credits when you add the $200 Uber credits, $100 in Saks Fifth Avenue credits, and $550 in the average total value of the Fine Hotels & Resorts program. That does not include the Rewards for regular spending or the Global Lounge Collection which gives you access to airport lounges around the world.
Who Should Use These American Express Cards
The target audience for these cards is a person who regularly spends a lot of money each month, has the ability to pay the bill in full, and wants to take advantage of the excellent benefits and services—particularly those of the American Express Gold Card and The Platinum Card from American Express. The higher annual fees make these cards a better deal for those who will take advantage of the many services and discounts and plan to spend several thousand dollars a month with their card.
Disclaimer: Any editorial content is not provided or commissioned by American Express. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of American Express, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express. This site may be compensated through the American Express Affiliate Program.