Veterans Day is a day to remember and thank military members for their service in the armed forces. As a military veteran, it always humbles me to see the thanks given by so many people on Veterans Day. Though none of us served for recognition, it is nice (and humbling) to be thanked for your service.
Many restaurants and retailers also offer veterans special discounts, or even free meals on Veterans Day. This is very generous on their part, and certainly something they don’t have to do. If you are a military veteran, I encourage you to participate in one or more of these events. These Veterans Day appreciation events are a great way to meet other veterans and show the restaurants and retailers you appreciate their generosity.
We recommend sharing this resource with any other Veterans you may know. You can also see a list of military discounts and more Veteran’s Day Meals and Discounts on our other site, The Military Wallet.
Free Meals on Veterans Day
Notes: Offers may vary by location; please call ahead or verify offer first, especially with franchises. Most offers require military ID or other proof of service, such as a veterans organization card (e.g. VFW, American Legion), or military discharge papers. Please see this list of Veterans Day Meals and Discounts for more information on days, times, and eligibility.
- Applebee’s – free meal, Nov. 11, 2013.
- Bar Louie – Free meal on Veterans Day, Nov. 10-11. 2013.
- Chili’s – free meal, Nov. 11, 2013.
- Denny’s Free all you can eat pancakes from 6 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Nov. 11, 2013.
- Famous Dave’s – Free or discounted meals on Veterans Day. Nov. 11, 2013.
- Golden Corral – Free meal, Nov. 12, 2013.
- Hooters – Free Meal up to $10.99 w/ drink purchase, Nov. 11, 2013.
- Krispy Kreme – Free doughnut and small coffee at participating locations, Nov. 11, 2013.
- Lone Star Steakhouse – All veterans and active duty military will be eligible for a buy one get one free entrée w/ ID. Nov. 11, 2013.
- Max & Erma’s – Free Best Cheeseburger in America Combo, Nov. 11, 2013.
- McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurants – Free Meal, Sunday, Nov. 10, 2013.
- Outback Steakhouse – A free Bloomin’ Onions and non-alcoholic beverage Nov. 11, 2013.
- Red Robin – Free Red’s Tavern Double and Bottomless Steak Fries. Nov. 11, 2013.
- Shoney’s – Free All-American Burger to veterans and active duty servicemembers. Nov. 11, 2013.
- Sizzler - Free Lunch, Nov 12, 2013.
- Texas Roadhouse – free lunch (11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.) from special menu, Nov. 11, 2013.
- T.G.I. Friday’s – Free Lunch (11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.), Nov 11, 2013.
- The Olive Garden – Free entrée from special menu. Nov. 11, 2013.
Veterans Day Discounts (retailers):
- Amazon.com – Free MP3 album download “Veterans Day Honor”
- Dollar General. 10% discount on entire purchase on Veteran’s Day.
- Free Car wash. Thousands of car washes around the country are offering vets a free car wash on Veterans Day. Find a list at Grace for Veterans.
- Great Clips. Free hair cut.
- Home Depot Military Discount – with proof of military service.
- Lowe’s Military Discount – with proof of military service. (more info on Home Depot and Lowe’s Military Discount).
- Meineke. Free Oil Change. More info.
- Sport Clips Discount – Veterans Day National cut-a-thon and Help A Hero program.
Veterans Day Events:
- Anheuser-Busch Parks. Free admission for servicemember and up to 3 dependents.
- Colonial Williamsburg Free Admission, Nov. 8-11, 2013.
- Fee Free Day at National Parks. Over 100 national Parks will be participating in this event November 9-11, 2013.
- Historic Jamestowne – Free Admission November 9-11, 2013.
- Knotts Berry Farm Military Tribute Days – Free Admission. Military Tribute Days (Nov 4 – 27). Current and former military personnel plus one guest get in FREE with proper ID.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame – Free Admission Nov. 9, 2013.
- San Jacinto Monument and Museum (La Porte, TX), November 9-17, 2013.
My wife and I are both military veterans, and we went to McCormick & Schmick’s last year. This year Golden Corral and several other restaurants are offering the Veterans Day meal on a date other than Veterans Day. This gives military veterans an opportunity to take advantage of more than one meal at various restaurants if they so choose.
Please pass this info along if you know any military veterans, and thanks to all who have worn the uniform!
Photo credit: uscgpress