I was listening to the radio a few weeks ago and heard an advertisement for a free audio CD featuring Donald Trump and his advice that will “make you rich!” The CD was for Trump University, Donald Trump’s real estate and business education company. Following the advertisement was a 1-800 number. So I called it. (And after listening to 5 minutes of the receptionist reading from a script about how this course could make me the next millionaire… and if I would like to, I could purchase a comprehensive course for $396… The free CD was on its way.)
That free CD recently came in. It is titled Trump University: Learning From Your Mistakes. It is a ‘free’ advertisement for his course, Wealth Builder’s Blueprint, and features 24 minutes of “unscripted and unrehearsed” quotes from Donald himself. Is it worthwhile? Well, it was free
Is the purchasing the course material worthwhile? That depends.
The CD had a lot of basic quotes and info on it.
- “You will be more successful doing things you enjoy.”
- “It is better to learn from other’s mistakes vs. making your own. It is a lot cheaper to learn from other people’s mistakes.”
- “You can never, ever give up.”
Some of the things I did like about his observations:
- “You can learn more from your losses than from your victories. When you have a victory, everything seems easy.” I like this because I have noticed similar things before. We all need a good challenge and we can’t all be successful all the time.
- “Business is survival and learning and hard knocks and learning things the hard way. The beauty of learning things the hard way is you never forget it. If you learn it the easy way, I’m not sure you really learned anything.” This blatantly contradicts several other statements he makes throughout the ‘unscripted and unrehearsed’ CD. But I think this statement has some validity. You always remember things you learned the hard way. (But I would rather learn from other’s mistakes!)
Trump University offers course in the main categories of Real Estate, Entrepreneurship, Management, and Wealth Creation. Personally, I thought a lot of the courses looked as though they were designed from a standard business school curriculum.
Overall, I think the CD was OK to listen to, but in no way made me want to go out and purchase any of his course material. The CD they sent out (even though it was free) had a lot of contradictions beyond what I mentioned, had no direction, and had a lot of self serving statements (it is Donald Trump we are talking about)
I would like to highlight one other comment The Donald mentioned in the CD.
- “A great brand is something that people can have confidence in. Like the Trump brand. I can have the same building in the same location, but because of my brand, I can command 30-40% more.”
Or, in my words… I can put something on the Internet just like anyone else, and because of my brand, I can command 30-40% more. 😉