I love Pandora. For my money, it’s the best free online radio station you can find. Create an account, create a new station, recommend artists, give thumbs up and down, and it “learns” the style of music you like and recommends music based on your tastes. It’s a great way to hear your favorite classics and be exposed to new music. You can’t listen to select songs on demand like you can with some other online radio stations, but I love the wide variety of music and the new artists I get exposed to on a regular basis. I’m sure I never would have been exposed to some of them, were it not for Pandora. My current station is simply called David Gray – one of my all time favorites. The station on Pandora plays nothing but David Gray and similar artists; folk, acoustic rock, etc. I love it. Sign up for your free account at http://www.pandora.com/.
Herbal Coffee from Teeccino. A couple months back I realized I was drinking too much caffeine, so I cut back on my coffee. Well, I started back up after our daughter was born because she has been keeping us up at night. A couple weeks ago I wrote about how I was drinking coffee again and a reader mentioned an organic herbal coffee alternative made by Teeccino. The main ingredients are carob, barley, chicory root, and other flavorings. It’s not coffee, but it’s pretty good. The reader recommended cutting it half and half with regular coffee if I still wanted a little kick from the caffeine, but not the full dose. It sure beats cutting regular coffee with decaf! You should be able to find it at Whole Foods Stores, select health food and other grocery stores, or get a free sample from their website (requires signing up for a newsletter).
The Top 50 Ways to Make Money in College – eBook. What do most college students have in common? Thats right, no money. (at least that’s how it was when I went!). Jon Ray has a free eBook with 50 ways for college students to earn money while attending college. I’ve read quite a few eBooks, and this is one of the best I have read. This book is a 110 page PDF, full of real tips, humor, insight, humor, creativity, humor, and passion. Seriously, I recommend it to anyone in high school or college, or just looking to make a few extra bucks. Not every tip works for everyone, but there is something in there for almost anyone. You can get it at Studybreaks.com, you just need to enter your e-mail address and you are good to go.
Recommended Financial Articles:
- Does your salary match your hourly wage? A $50,000 a year salary sounds great – until you realize you are working 7o hour weeks and really earning less than $20 per hour.
- 7 Things That Make Good Financial Cents For College Students. Sticking with the college theme… Several tips to help college students make it through without being covered in debt
- What Do Dividend Cuts Mean For Mutual Fund Investors?. Many companies have slashed dividends in recent months – meaning there are big changes for mutual funds.
- How to Avoid Inheritance Tax. Estate planning is something many people put off because it is difficult to think about. But it is also extremely important.
- Good Questions on $8,000 First Time Homebuyer Credit. House shopping? You may just be able to get an $8,000 first time home buyer credit.
- Their hands are worth $1,200 a day. CNN has an article about an interesting profession – hand models.
- COBRA Benefits Subsidy in the 2009 Economic Stimulus Recovery Act. The 2009 stimulus plan calls for COBRA and unemployment subsidies – important information if your position is cut this year.
- Spend Time to Save Money. Sometimes this is the best way; other times I prefer to spend money to save time. I guess it’s all about balance!
- Saving On Prescription Drug Medication. I think just about everyone can use this article!
This week’s carnivals:
- Carnival Of Twenty Something Finances Beauty Edition @ My Beauty and Fashion.
- Carnival of Money Stories – “Back from the Beach!” ed. @ Budgets Are Sexy.
- Carnival of Financial Planning – Edition #102 @ The Skilled Investor.
- Economy and Your Finances Carnival Aug 16th 2009 @ One Mint.