It was scary to watch the aftermath of the recent earthquake unfold in Japan. Part of it was the utter devastation caused by the earthquake and resulting tsunamis. But it was also scary because my wife has a lifelong friend who lives in Tokyo. Thankfully we received word that her friend and her family are safe after the earthquakes.
Unfortunately, the country of Japan faces a long road to recovery. Already, experts are estimating thousands of deaths and many are predicting this will be the most expensive natural disaster ever. Aftershocks and the threat of major nuclear meltdowns still threaten the island nation. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Japan.
How You Can Help the Japanese Earthquake Relief Efforts
CNN Money put together a list of How you can help Japan. The basic tips are these: donate cash to reputable and well-known relief agencies, not items such as food and clothing. The reason? Because cash can be immediately used, whereas transporting physical items is expensive and takes a long time to reach the destination. In some cases the items may never reach the intended recipients because the cost and time involved are prohibitive.
In addition, you can text the following organizations to send them a donation.
To make a $10 donation now to:
- Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami fund, text REDCROSS to 90999 or go to redcross.org
- Save the Children’s Japan Earthquake Tsunami Children in Emergency fund, text JAPAN to 20222 or go to savethechildren.org
- GlobalGiving’s Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief fund, text JAPAN to 50555 or go to globalgiving.org
- International Medical Corps relief efforts, text MED to 80888 or go to internationalmedicalcorps.org.
Enter to Win a $50 gift card at Moolanomy. Moolanomy has partnered with GiftCards.com to give away 3 $50 gift cards when you join his news letter. Find out more here: * GiftCards.com $50 Visa or MasterCard Gift Cards Giveaway.
Recommended articles from around the web:
- The Cost of Making Prime Time Awards.
- Readers Share Tips for Making Lowball Offers on Homes.
- How to Avoid Running Out of Money in Retirement.
- 6 Ways to Prepare for Rising Gas Prices – $5 Per Gallon Gas Coming Soon?.
- The P’s of Evaluating a Financial Advisor and here is one for our friends north of the border: Different Types Of Canadian Financial Advisors Which Is Right For You?.
- Vanguard: What Makes Them Unique?.
- This is Why You Can’t Make Money in the Stock Market.
- Cable Alternatives – Legal Alternatives to Cable TV.
- Guide For Life After College.
- Life Insurance Beneficiary — Who Should It Be?.
- Where to Keep Your Emergency Fund — Nowadays there are not as many options as in the past for safe investments with moderate returns. But here are a few safe places to create your “rainy day” fund.
- How to File an Amended Tax Return.
- 10 Best Home Based Businesses.
- Carnival of Personal Finance: The March Break Edition, Carnival of Money Stories #96, Carnival of Credit Score and Debt – March 7, 2011, Totally Money Blog Carnival # 9, Festival of Frugality #270, 300th Carnival Of Personal Finance -Magical Penny International Pi Day Edition, Carnival of Wealth #29.