My wife and I recently accepted an offer on our home. We’re excited about this change and impending move, but we’re also in a slight time crunch – we have just over 2 weeks before we need to have everything packed and ready to go to our new home (which we still need to find!). All of those details can be saved for a series of other posts. But right now what I want to talk about is how much Craigslist has helped us prepare for the move by selling items we don’t want to take with us.
We started going through our belongings with the intention of reducing the amount of Stuff we take with us. And we’ve been listing and selling items like crazy. So far we sold both our TVs (and canceled cable), I sold two guitars, we sold our entertainment center, a pair of large floor speakers, some clothes, and a few other items. The main idea was reducing the amount of weight and number of boxes we take with us when we move, but we’ve also made a fair amount of money, which will certainly come in handy with the moving expenses coming our way. We actually could have made a lot more money, but we priced everything to sell quickly instead of pricing it to maximize profit. This isn’t the first time we’ve done well on Craigslist etiher as we sold our car on Craigslist a few months back.
Craigslist is also great for saving money – next time you are looking for a big ticket item, take a few minutes to see if you can find it on Craigslist. There are always good deals to be had! Sticking with the subject of saving money, let’s get to our Editor’s Choice selections from this week’s Festival of Frugality!
- Jeff Rose, CFP presents 20 Easy (and Unusual) Ways for College Students to Save Money posted at Good Financial Cents.
- Roshawn Watson presents Toyota Millionaires vs. Mercedes Millionaires posted at Watson Inc.
- PT presents Create Accountability for Your Finances posted at PT Money.
- Davidl2001 presents Make Money, Sell Your Stuff, Try WorthMonkey.com posted at 50 Plus Finance. .
The Mentality of Saving Money
- J. Money presents Frugal is Sexy. Even when it Itches. posted at Budgets Are Sexy.
- Kay Lynn Akers presents 10 Free Ways to Improve Your Mood posted at Bucksome Boomer.
- Little Miss Moneybags presents I don’t want to want posted at Little Miss Moneybags.
- Jessica presents Saying Goodbye to Stuff and Hello to Saving posted at MomVesting.
Saving money while shopping
- Silicon Valley Blogger presents Frugal Health and Beauty Tips: Look Good & Save $800 A Year posted at The Digerati Life.
- Bob presents 5 Ways To Save Money Shopping posted at Christian Personal Finance..
- Kristia presents Resolve To Lower Your Grocery Bill posted at Family Balance Sheet.
- FMF presents Free Money Finance: The Best Way to Save on Vacation Expenses posted at Free Money Finance.
Saving money on Technology and Entertainment
- Ben presents Save Money on Your Sprint Cell Phone Bill posted at Money Smart Life.
- RC presents Free Kindle Downloads for Your Kindle e-reader, Phone, or Computer posted at Think Your Way to Wealth.
- vh presents Three reasons to keep the land line posted at Funny about Money.
Saving money on Money Management
- Wise Bread presents Get a Grip on your Debt: How to Obtain a Clear and Concise Financial Snapshot posted at Wisebread.
- MoneyNing presents Winter On a Budget posted at Money Ning.
- Henry Truc presents How to Retire on $190 a Month posted at Go Banking Rates.
- Joe Plemon presents 3 Ways to Break Old Habits and Make New Habits Stick posted at Personal Finance By The Book.
- Kristina presents Stories about Mixing Money and Family posted at Dual Income No Kids.
- Jason presents 4 Ways We Keep Wasting Money posted at Live Real, Now.
- Sun presents Cash in Now for Secondhand Savings posted at The Sun’s Financial Diary.
Saving Money with Credit, Credit Cards, & other Financial Products
- Donna Freedman presents Celebrate “Shred Your Credit Card Day” and win. You get to be evil! posted at Surviving and Thriving.
- Tim Chen presents Finally, a Card With a 0% Balance Transfer APR & No Transfer Fee posted at NerdWallet Blog.
- Kimberly presents Recovering Your Credit After the Great Recession posted at Wallet Blog.
- freefrombroke presents PerkStreet Online Checking Amps Up Your New Year’s Reolutions and Taxes- 5% Cashback on Gyms, Weight Loss Programs, and Tax Preparation Solutions posted at Free From Broke.
- Stephan Marks presents TradeKing $50 New Account Bonus Promotion posted at Promo Code Center.
Thanks to everyone for participating. For more information about this carnival, or to participate in future editions, please visit the Festival of Frugality home page.