Teaching young adults about credit cards is a very necessary thing to do because mistakes made with a student credit card pale in comparison to the mistakes possible when you’re an established professional. For one, the credit limit is much lower on a student credit card, making the possible debt load less. Then, should you make a late payment or default on your card, you’ll have more time to correct your mistakes before your credit is needed for a house or car purchase.
Student credit cards certainly have their pros and cons, but if used responsibly, the experience and rewards gained by credit cards can certainly help a students future. We’ve compiled a short list of the best student credit cards in the market today. All of these cards teach responsible spending while rewarding students for on time payments, good grades and responsible spending.
Not too long ago, credit card issuers offered students free t-shits, koozies, slices of pizza, and other random goodies as a reward for applying for a credit card. Rules have changed, and applying for a student credit card is a little more strict now. This is a good thing, as many students took on more than they could handle. The following student credit cards offer good rewards programs, have reasonable interest rates, and no annual fees. When used properly, they can help you learn to use credit responsibly and help you build your credit score.
Top Credit Cards for College Students
Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students – Earn 2,500 Bonus Points.
The Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students – Earn 2,500 Bonus Points – This card features the opportunity to earn 2,500 bonus ThankYou® Points after spending $500 within the first 3 months of cardmembership. It also offers 2 ThankYou® Points per dollar spent on purchases for dining at restaurants and entertainment, and 1 ThankYou® Point on other purchases. Your ThankYou Points do not expire and you can earn unlimited Thank You Points. These Points can be redeemed for merchandise, travel rewards, gift cards, cash and more. Cards feature Chip Technology which is more secure than just a magnetic stripe, and is great for international travel where most credit card merchants no longer accept cards without smart chips. There is no annual fee*. Click Apply Now for pricing information.
Citi® Dividend® Card for College Students.
Citi® Dividend® Card for College Students – If rewards are of importance, the best student credit card would be the Citi® Dividend® Card for College Students. Earn 5% cash back every quarter in must-have categories like department stores, travel and more, enrollment each quarter is quick and easy. Additional rewards can be earned on other purchases, including 1% cash back on all other purchases. The total cash back earned with the card is $300 per calendar year. See Citi Dividend Card Reward Program Information. Cardholders are able to choose their payment due date and manage their account online, or on a tablet or smartphone. There is no annual fee.
Discover it® for Students with $20 Cashback Bonus.
- Fair. No annual fee. No overlimit fee. No foreign transaction fee. No late fee on your first late payment. And paying late won’t increase your APR.*
- Generous. 5% cash back at Home Improvement Stores, Furniture Stores and Bed Bath & Beyond® on up to $1,500 in purchases from April through June 2014.*
- Human. Talk to a real person any time with 100% U.S.-based service.
- Safe. Because you’re never responsible for unauthorized purchases with our $0 Fraud Liability Guarantee.
- Experience our cash rewards with $20 Cashback Bonus® when you make your first purchase within 3 months of approval.*
- *Click “Apply” to see rates, rewards and other information.
- Apply Now!
* See the online credit card application for details about terms and conditions. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information. However all credit card information is presented without warranty. When you click on the “Apply Now” button, you can review the credit card terms and conditions on the issuer’s website.
Discover is a paid advertiser of CashMoneyLife.com