2009 was a great year for me and my family, the highlight being the birth of our first child, Emma. It was a great year here at Cash Money Life as well. If you are a new subscriber or old, or just visiting, I want to say thank you for making this website what it is. I hope and pray 2010 will bring you happiness and prosperity.
Here are some of the 2009 highlights from Cash Money Life. I have arranged them by topic to make it easier to scan and find what you are looking for. Best to you and yours.
The first four articles are general personal finance articles that stress quick wins with the least amount of effort. These tips will give you solid results and keep you motivated. The final article is a reminder to take a step back and have some patience when things seem to be going slowly.
- Pick the Low Hanging Fruit to Get your Finances in Order Quickly.
- The Latte Factor on Steroids: 5 Small Changes That Can Make You Big Money.
- Applying the Pareto Principle to Your Career and Finances.
- 5 Ways That Inertia Costs You Thousands.
- Let it Breathe.
As I previously mentioned, my wife and I became first time parents this year. Becoming a parent is an exciting time, and it will affect you in many ways. Most of those are out of the scope of this site, but I put together a few articles about how becoming a new parent can affect your finances or career. Hopefully these articles can help you prepare for parenthood!
- When Should You Tell Your Boss You Are Pregnant?.
- How to Decide Whether to Be a Stay at Home Mom or Working Mom.
- Baby Shopping – The Temptation to Spend.
- What to Put On a Baby Registry.
- Baby Coupons, Free Samples, and Discounts.
- Unexpected Ways Having a Baby Changed Our Budget.
- Tax Tips for Children and Newborns.
- Starting Our Child on the Right Financial Path.
When my wife and I found out we were expecting we decided to investigate college savings options. Even though we have about 18 years to go before our daughter will enter college, we decided to get started so we can let the power of compound interest work for us. These articles are the results of our homework:
- 529 College Savings Plan.
- Coverdell Educational Savings Account (ESA).
- College Savings Plans: 529 vs. Coverdell ESA.
- Ohio College Advantage 529 Plan Review.
- Upromise – Earn Free Money for College Education.
What you need to know about finding a good custodian for your Roth IRA, how to open a Roth IRA, where to open it, contribution limits and more. Great references or those of you looking to open a Roth IRA – and the best part is that you can open a Roth IRA for 2009 up until April 15, 2010, so you still have plenty of time to get going!
- How to Open a Roth IRA.
- Where Should You Open a Roth IRA?
- Traditional IRA or Roth IRA for Young Investors?
- Where Do You Get the Best Roth IRA Rates?
Insurance is one of those things that everyone needs and hopes they never have to use. Here are a few insurance articles that cover topics ranging from health and life to auto and home.
- Open Enrollment: Health Insurance Options.
- Individual Health Insurance vs. Group Health Insurance.
- What to do About Health Savings Accounts with High Fees.
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- How to Lower your Auto Insurance Rates.
- How to Save Money on Your Homeowner’s Insurance Rates.
How to start a Blog
Starting a blog can be a fun exercise to share information with family and friends, or it can be the beginning of a business. whatever you decide to do with it, make it yours. Here are some articles that can help you start your own blog.
- How to Start a Blog for Fun or Profit.
- Starting a Blog – What to Write About.
- Starting a Blog – Hosted vs. Self-Hosted.
- Starting a Blog – How to Choose a Domain.
- Starting a Blog – Choosing a Web Host.
- How to File a Tax Extension.
- What Happens if You Miss the Tax Deadline?
- Self Employment Taxes.
- Estimated Taxes Guide.
- Tax Tips for Children and Newborns
Small Business and Career
- Knowing When to Outsource.
- When Should You Sell Your Small Business?
- Preparing for a Job Interview.
- Sharpen Your Soft Skills.
- Why Achieving an MBA is No Longer My Goal.
Fun Money – fun and interesting personal finance articles
And a couple fun articles – because personal finance should be fun.
- Hyperinflation – Worst Case Scenario.
- The Death of the Penny – US Mint to Cease Penny Production in 2011.
- Buying the Moon and the Stars, and Other Fun Gifts.
Thanks for helping make Cash Money Life so much fun to run! Have a great New Year, and come back for more in 2010!